Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where Were You?

I was in my Second Period Freshman Honors Biology with Mr. Caffey. 
 My older brother was a Sophomore at St. Louis University, so he was back in St. Louis. My mom and dad were on a plane to Vegas with some friends; with a changeover in Denver.

A classmate burst into our classroom a couple minutes after the bell rang exclaiming that a plane had slammed into the world trade center.  Chaos ensued.  Mr. Caffey chuckled nervouly asking if that was supposed to be a joke; without waiting for an answer he chastised this student for joking about something so insensitive and then passed out a pop quiz. 

Within 2 minutes the Dean of Students came over the intercom explaining that another plane had crashed into the second tower...and that classroom teachers might want to turn on their tvs.
Instead of chaos that came with the first student's proclamation, there was only stunned silence.

That day was unproductive in the sense that televisions were set up in our IMC's, and students and teachers alike clustered around them to watch the horrific replays on loop of the planes crashing into the towers, and then the towers tumbling...then the plane flying into the Pentagon, and the destruction coming from that.

We were all wondering about those who had loved ones in NYC and D.C.; We were wondering if Omaha was next with our AFB--would that make us a target? 

I was confused--who would do this?  Why would someone do this?  I was scared--my parent's on a plane--was their plane going to fly into a building?  Would someone come after Offut next?  I was angry about the senseless loss of life, the evil people who did this--who killed so many innocent people, and about people using their God as a reason that it was okay to do this.

I think this evil act made me more patriotic.  Watching the footage of the selfless and honorable NYPD and NYFD heroes die trying to save so many other innocent victims.  Hearing and Seeing this "War on Terror" drag on because of this catalyst...and having so many other Heroic men and women die for me--for our country.  It has made me grateful.  I won't ever be in the military; I won't fight fires or be a police woman; But I won't ever forget...my heart will continue to swell when I hear "God Bless America"; and I pray that God continues to do just that.

God Bless America.

Where Were You on 9/11?
What Were You Feeling?
How Will You Never Forget...?

No comments:

Post a Comment