Friday, September 9, 2011

I'm Proud Of You

I was studying at Panera on Monday (great way to spend my Labor Day afternoon if you ask me).  I was approached by someone about my mom's age named Roz.  She explained to me that she was a non-traditional student getting a degree in business and communication from University of Phoenix. 

She apologized for interrupting me but explained exuberantly she recently started school again and because I looked like a focused and motivated student she wanted to ask me where the best places to study are...and what were the best times to study at this Panera.

I briefly summarized some good hours to study at Panera (i.e. basically anytime but the breakfast/lunch/dinner hour) and a few quiet Starbucks near her neighborhood.  She noticed my Evidence book and Moot Court Materials spread out in my booth and asked me what year I was in school; and what I was studying.  I told her where I went to school; and explained I was a second year law student.


What she did next amazed me (and inspired me to write this).  She gave me a huge hug, looked me in the eye, and said: 'I'm so proud of you honey.'  Mind you, I've never met or seen Roz before today.   Her sentiment brought me back to Abileene's words to babygirl in The Help "You are smart, You are Kind, You are Important..."  Thanks to Roz, I held my head a little bit higher as I continued to study... 

Thanks to her, I kept repeating something that I don't let myself hear at all from myself or from others...I'm proud of me too.

6 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you too, Emily! What a neat experience--I love meeting people like Roz and making connections with strangers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great post. You should be proud. I wonder if she was my age? I don't think I'm old enough to have you, but could have had my sitter if I started at 20. yea,I did not.

    Really nice story. Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a blessing!! a sweet story. so happy we are on this law school journey together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a trip to Panera! That's one of those moments that you will remember forever. It's people lke Roz that make the biggest impact on our everyday lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when strangers brighten my day! And Panera, that's just hard to beat...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's great! Makes me want to stop randomly googling things and hit my books!! GL with your 2L year. <3 I'm a 3L :D

    A Preponderance of Fashion

    ReplyDelete