Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day


Credit
I'm not sure if I should be as embarrassed as I am to admit this:  Prior to writing this post I wikipedia'ed "Labor Day" because I wasn't altogether sure as to why I don't have class today, what I am supposed to be celebrating, and of course if I'll commit a fashion faux pas by wearing white after today.  Clearly some big thoughts about today ;)

Credit
Labor Day Originated in 1882 by the Central Labor Union of New York...but was not recognized as a federal holiday until 1894.  It came about by tragedy as numerous workers participating in the Pullman Strike were killed by U.S. Marshalls and Military...

Credit
President Cleveland reconciled with the labor union and fearing further conflict he, and other law makers rushed this through congress, making Labor Day a recognized federal holiday in a mere 6 days.  Declaring the first Monday in September a statutory holiday. Pretty Interesting stuff if you ask me!!!

Credit
So what am I doing to celebrate  today!?  Spending time with family (going to see The Help with my mom (maybe some shopping too), bbq with my parents), friends, and of course being the laborious person that I am: working and studying...although I may do the latter part laying poolside--since it closes after today!!!

Happy Labor Day Friends...How are you Celebrating today!?
oxo

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a productive and fun Labor Day and thanks for the facts. I had no idea! :) We are headed to San Fran for some shopping after a quick am run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the history lesson - I'll admit that I am (was?) pretty clueless about this holiday too. Glad you had some fun plans on your agenda for today! Everyone needs a break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I dont think I've ever taken the time to learn about why we celebrate Labor Day... interesting indeed! Looking forward to what you thought of The Help! Just finished the book and am looking forward to seeing the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete