Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 13: 5 Favorite Books

I can't believe it's the 13th day of Emily's (from Blue Dog Belle) 31 Day Blogging Challenge. I also can't believe that December is close to being halfway over. Crazy. I'm posting today after my Criminal Law final, and turning in my take-home exam for Children Family & the State. I am so so so excited that I only have one semester of law school left (crazy)...and a generous break from school (over a month off). I'll be doing a lot of clerking, house-sitting, working some retail (shopping), and spending some quality time with my friends, and some quality time at Lifetime (to negate the eating and drinking done during that quality time with my friends). Today's question asks: "What are your Five favorite books, and why?" Since I have finals brain and still don't feel very good...I'm only going to do three books (sorry!!!)

The Harry Potter Series
I started reading this series in Middle School (7th Grade) and I was hooked. There was something about the magic J.K. Rowling described in each and every book, that still has me waiting for my Hogwarts letter. I also loved the themes about good ultimately defeating evil, love conquering all, and of course that there is magic in everyday life. This is one of my favorite series to go back and reread, and one of my favorite movie series (which is surprising because I don't normally care for the adaption of a book into a movie).

Gone with the Wind
I fell in love with this book by Margaret Mitchell when I was a young girl. I read this epic book over and over again. The love story between Scarlett and Rhett (still gives me goosebumps), the historical perspective  (not only in this novel but also the sequel "Scarlett"), and the quotes. "Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn..." "I can't think about this right now...I'll think about it tomorrow." "With courage you can do with a reputation." Actually after sharing about this book with you, I think I'm going to read it once or twice over break (and watch the movie too...)

Blue Like Jazz
My dad bought me this book years ago. It's falling apart, marked up (more than any of my textbooks), and even contains one of my favorite quotes about God and spirituality: I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes. After that I liked jazz music. Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the wayI used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened.”  Every time I re read this book, I find something new--something applicable--something inspiring.

What are you favorite reads?!




No comments:

Post a Comment