Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

Credit
When I was a lot younger (read grade school aged) my understanding of Memorial Day was that Mom and Dad would visit the cemetery, Dad would hang our flag outdoors, school was cancelled and the pool opened.

Last May when I was substitute teaching, some members of our Armed Forces visited the classroom around Memorial Day to talk about what Memorial Day meant to them; Answer questions about their jobs, the war, Memorial Day; And receive "Thank You" cards from this group of students.

It was around this time I fully fathomed the immeasurable sacrifice the members of our armed forces are prepared to give, and often do give.  It's something I know I wouldn't be able to do, but it gives me chills trying to understand the why, the how, and the who.  So let to day not only be a day of remembering those who died keeping our great country but also thanking those who do.

God Bless America.

No comments:

Post a Comment