Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Mr. Wrong...Issue #1

February is fast approaching--and with that fabulous month comes my mom's birthday, President's day (?), and Valentine's day. I don't loathe the third, in fact I love a holiday that celebrates love (or lust), I love the candy hearts, and I love the color pink. Yet with all of these sweet treats coming in less than a month, I have hit some sour notes on the road to finding a Valentine...so I thought over the next few weeks I'd share some of the more humorous and maybe a bit of the sappy with my readers--who knows--maybe you can shed some light on what may have gone awry on my quest to find my 'mr. wonderful.'

My first experience with this was when I was 17 or 18.  A boy I met when I worked at BR, (I'll refer to him as Porsche), asked me out. I'm not going to lie when I say that our date was perfect. He picked me up in his dad's new porsche (if you know me, you know my love affair with cars, so this was points for him), we went to M's Pub for dinner, and then drove around the Field Club/Country Club area following dinner.
He opened doors, paid for everything, brought me flowers--he set the bar high and proved that chivalry existed. It was bliss.

A week went by...then my phone rang--and it was Porsche. "Hey, can I take you to coffee--I have a present for you."

I was delighted, coffee, presents, and Porsche. What a great trifecta. When we got to Starbucks something was different about Porsche--though he was groomed to perfection, with a present in hand, his demeanor had changed. Instead of suave and confident he seemed absolutely petrified.

We sat down and he began with "I have something to tell you don't be mad..." At this point I figured he had a girlfriend, was moving to a chateau in the Alps, or worst just wasn't that into me... "I'm gay and going out with you the other night made me realize I really like boys." He then handed me my present with "I'm sorry--Don't hate me..." and left.

I was speechless, I was confused as to what role I played, and I was sad. I opened my present months later--he had made me a scrapbook--with a very sweet message thanking me for being me and for letting him be himself for the first time.

We haven't talked since. But I see him out and about from time to time--impeccably groomed, happier than ever--and I know he has a special place in his heart for me--as I do for him.

What is the most shocking thing someone you've gone out with has told you--how did you react?

No comments:

Post a Comment