Monday, January 17, 2011

"I have a dream..."

Throughout elementary school, middle school, as well as high school there were two things that always occurred on Martin Luther King (MLK) day. First, we had school--which at the time was a very sore subject, and is something I still lament about toady. Second, in at least one class we had a writing assignment to write about our own dreams--which was supposed to relate to MLK's famous speech--but usually involved mansions, no school on MLK day, as well as whatever we could dream up. My eighth grade year we had to do the assignment in Spanish--"Yo tengo un sueno"--it may have been more rudimentary than my kindergarten essay about the same topic.

With all of that being said, I'm excited that now, at 24 years old, MLK day is starting to mean more to me. I'm not sure if it is because of reading, discussing and learning about so many cases and how laws are made and changed--or learning about fearless people who believed what they were doing was right and because of that they shaped a little piece of history.  Personally I feel it is I graduate law school--what I can do, what my classmates can do, what you can do--shape history, change the world, and fight for something we believe in. So don't let MLK's work be in vain--stand up for what you believe in, do something about it, change the world. It only takes one--let that one be YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment