Monday, December 27, 2010

Resolve

If you look at the word "Resolve" it breaks into two parts. The prefix of "Re" which means to do over or to repeat and the word "Solve" which means to fix something or to make something work. Interesting when you put those two together that they mean to repeatedly fix something. It makes sense though, so many things we resolve to do in the New Year are the same every year:  lose those ____lbs, fall in love, redecorate my____room... The list can go on and on, and for some, present company included the thing being resolved is destined for failure after a few months, and bound to be something resolved again the next year.

That being said, I've been putting thought into some Resolutions that I can actually FOLLOW through completely this year, and are hopefully not as superficial as some years may have been. I want to focus on areas that will impact some different aspects of my life--and hopefully impact others.

So, drum roll please--here are my resolutions for 2011:

Mind: Become fluent or at least close to fluent in a foreign language.
Body: Run 4-6 half-marathons during 2011.
Soul: Journal on a regular basis. I am an internalizer.  When I actually remember to journal, I feel like I get a different perspective on whatever I am internalizing through writing, and then an even different one through reading what I wrote. This is one of the most cleansing, productive and positive activities for me to do, yet it is something that I don't always think to do, or put off.
Heart: Give Love. This resolution is one I already try to do--the golden rule--treat others how you want to be treated. I really try to show love through my actions to those I encounter, yet there are certain people I really have a hard time doing that for. So I'm going to really work on making sure that I 'give love' through my actions, facial expressions and words to those I encounter.
Health: Give up soda and/or caffeinated beverages. (I'm sure this is met with laughter and shock) However, it is something that I definitely need to do. Not only for my heart health, but also for my sanity, and wallet... So if you see me with a Diet Coke or a Starbucks in hand--feel free to say something about the soda, or ask if my coffee is decaf! 
Happiness: Learning to say 'no'. I am so bad at overbooking myself and then just wishing I would have said 'no' to the extra shift, going out to dinner, going for a walk instead of a run... I'm not going to be the antithesis of Jim Carrey's character from 'Yes Man' but I am going to work on saying 'no' so I can enjoy the things I say 'yes' to even more.

What are your resolutions this year? How do you stick to them?! Any resolution suggestions for me?

I'm hoping and praying that you have the best year as of yet...You Deserve it!
Love,
Emily

2 comments:

  1. I love the journaling and "learning to say no" resolutions!! Those are GREAT ideas (as are the others of course!!) and are both things I need/hope to work on as well.

    And btw, I admire you so much for running your half-marathons!! I think that is so amazing... Good for you, girly!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for providing such a valuable information and thanks for sharing this matter. To get more information buy prescription drugs online from buy erectile dysfunction medication online.

    ReplyDelete