Thursday, December 2, 2010

Survival

I always love the question that my friend Morgan and I used to agonize over during our HHC summers "If you were on a deserted island--what three things would you take?" Morgan usually would take Emmitt (her stuffed dog), her bible, and some sort of food usually reeses or cookies and cream bites (soooo good). Unlike Morgie, I was not very altruistic with my answers. I would try to weasel out of this question by taking a genie--who would be able to grant me countless wishes, a fully equipped yacht so I could easily get off the island, and Prince William.


Now, that finals are almost upon us--I have no time, energy and effort to put into myself, but there are a few things that I can't live without--not only to preserve my sanity, my social life (or major lack thereof), and also my immune system.

Emergen-C. 1000 mg of Vitamin C per packet (I put 2 packets into a water bottle), along with 24 Nutrients, Antioxidants, Electrolytes and 7 B Vitamins. Currently, I'm enjoying the Lemon Lime Flavor--which you can purchase at Whole foods, Trader Joes, Walgreens or Here. I also like the Tangerine (pictured), and the Tropical flavor. I wasn't too fond of the Pink Lemonade or the Acai Berry. As silly as it sounds, this delicious, fizzy security blanket is one of the main reasons, I haven't gotten ill yet. Also the BURST of energy I get after drinking my bottle full is better, and much less jittery than a cup of coffee.

Lip Balm. I feel like Napoleon Dynamite with my excessive use of lip balm or clear gloss lately. Right now I am using Strawberry Carmex which you can get at walgreens for $1.50 or Here. C.O. Bigelow 'Ultra Mentha Lip Shine' (in clear), which not only tastes good, but it makes my lips shiny and refreshes my breath, and it is awesome because I don't have to reapply all the time. I get mine at Bath and Body Works, but you can get it Here. Finally I'm using Burt's Bees 'Super Shiny Lip Gloss' in Nectar Nude, which I picked up at whole foods the other night but you can get it Here. This is great because it provides a touch of color, but it also stays on and really moisturizes.

Snacks. My friend Laurel and I always giggle and ask each other for snacks because we both love snacks, and because law school has cause us to think we're really funny, when we're not, but we are. Lately, I've been enjoying edamame, with no shell, unsalted, and delicious. It lasts me for a few days, and is very good brain food. I have also been loving pistachios, salted and shelled. This is a snack that I have to pack a (generous) serving of because they are so addictive. :) Finally to satisfy my sweet tooth, I am obsessed with, seriously, obsessed with Candy Cane Hershey Kisses.  I don't know how to describe them other than awesome, indulgent, and ah-maz-ing. Plus they're seasonal, so I feel the necessity to eat them while they are in stock...or at least that is what I tell myself.

Friends. Spending time with, emailing, studying with, texting with, talking to all of my friends has be key.  I could go on and on about how lucky I am because of my wonderful friends. I feel like I am an anomaly because of my core group of friends--not only is it large, diverse, but it is full of incredible, beautiful (inside and outside) group of role models for me. Each person who I know and love has at least one thing that I wish to, and try to emulate. I really am loved by them, and I really love them.  

Music. If you see me on campus, running, or studying, there is a common theme--I have my iTouch on, or at least I have my earbuds in (usually it is the second part). Lately, I've been exposed to lots of different music, because of one of my favorite things--Pandora. If you don't know what pandora is, a brief version is that it is a (free) music genome project which allows you to type in an artist, favorite song, or even soundtrack from a movie or tv show, and pandora will stream music that is similar to your entry. I have stations ranging from 'Taio Cruise' to 'Rolling Stones' to 'Grey's Anatomy' to 'Iron and Wine.' I also have Ally to thank, because she downloaded a lot of music to run to, study to, and rock out to!!!

These are just a few of the things and people that have helped me keep a smile on my face lately, and I know will continue to over these next few weeks... Good Luck on finals to my friends in school! And to those in and out of school, I can't wait to celebrate being done, and not being a 'fun-hater' (to use my older brother's word) as of December 18th.

Em

No comments:

Post a Comment